Healthy Delectables: The Show
Episode Three Recipe for Chocolate Lavender Tart
- Nonstick vegetable or canola oil spray
- 9 whole graham crackers (about 5 ounces) (I recommend buying a healthier version – with no hydrogenated oils)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender (Dried lavender can be purchased health food stores and specialty food shops. Do not purchase lavender to be used in cooking from a craft shop unless it is specified that it can be used for food. Culinary lavender grown for non-food use may contain high levels of toxic pesticides. )
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (or equivalent in baking chocolate of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch tart pan with nonstick spray. Place graham crackers with 3 tablespoons of butter into an electric mixer or food processor, and grind until fine crumbs form. Press the crumbs onto bottom of the tart pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.
Place the whipping cream and lavender buds into a small saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Place chocolate in a medium saucepan on a separate burner. Place a fine mesh strainer over the medium saucepan and pour the cream and lavender mixture over the chocolate. Gently stir the chocolate and cream over medium-low heat until melted. Add 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter; stir until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over crust in tart pan. Garnish with a few lavender buds. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
Find all episodes and recipes at www.healthydelectable.com.
Copyright © 2010 Healthy Delectable. All rights reserved.